Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Down Syndrome Test

I don't get it.
I understand that the test gives you a probability of your child having down syndrome but its not a positive or negative.

Why have the down syndrome testing? The website babycentre state that people have the test because down syndrome is the most common chromosomal abnormality to result in a live birth and can have a major impact on a family.

I had the test done not long ago because it seems its just what you do when your pregnant but even if my chances were 1:20 I still wouldn't terminate the pregnancy. The child still maybe born without the syndrome. My results were more like 1:33,000 but my child may well be born with down syndrome so whats the point? I still cant answer why?

More info:
Genetics.edu.au - Prenatal Testing
VCGS Pathology - Maternal Serum Screening

No comments:

Post a Comment